During the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), being held in Chicago, May 31 - June 4, 2013, researchers presented marked and significant progress toward new options to treat cancer.
Onco'Zine offers readers a brief selection and summary of the sessions from the 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting which featured the latest cancer research in the areas of basic and clinical science. This year, the program offered attendees the most cutting-edge science and education designed to help them to achieve the highest standard of patient care.
“The studies presented [... ] illustrate the progress we are making against advanced cancers that are resistant to traditional therapies. New targeted and immunotherapy drugs are emerging as viable strategies for halting the progression of these difficult diseases,” noted Gregory Masters, MD, FACP, a medical oncologist at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center in Newark, Del.
Over 30,000 physicians, researchers and healthcare professionals from over 100 countries attended this meeting which was held at the McCormick Convention center in Chicago, Ill.
Pre ASCO: April 30, 2013
- ASCO President Discusses the Theme for 2013's Annual Meeting: "Building Bridges to Conquer Cancer. [Watch Video]
Friday, May 31, 2013
- "Building Bridges to Conquer Cancer" Is the Theme of this Year's Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) [Read Article]
- ASCO's 2013 Educational Program [Watch Video]
- The Science Behind the 2013 Annual ASCO Meeting [Watch Video]
Saturday, June 1, 2013
- Pazopanib Maintenance Therapy Delays Relapse of Advanced Ovarian Cancer [Read Article]
- Ipilimumab + GM-CSF Significantly Improves Survival in Patients With Metastatic Melanoma Compared to Ipilimumab Alone [Read Article][Watch Video]
- Do Spouses of Patients with HPV-positive Oropharyngeal Cancer Have Increased Risk of Oral HPV Infections? [Read Article][Watch Video]
- German Study Shows Cetuximab to be Superior to Bevacizumab as First Line Treatment for Advanced Colorectal Cancer [Read Article]
- Selumetinib Is the First Effective Drug for Advanced Melanoma of the Eye [Read Article][Watch Video]
- Transforming Patient Care: ASCO Introduces Electronic Data Sharing Standard for Breast Cancer Treatment [Read Article]
Sunday, June 2, 2013
- Cervical Cancer Screening with Vinegar Reduces Mortality - Feasible Strategy May Prevent Thousands Deaths Each Year in Developing Countries [Read Article]
- Adding Bevacizumab to Standard First-Line Chemoradiation for Glioblastoma does not Offer a Survival Benefit [Read Article]
- Patients with Treatment-Resistant Differentiated Thyroid Cancer may Benefit from Treatment with Sorafenib [Read Article]
- Extending the Duration of Tamoxifen Adjuvant Treatment Reduces Breast Cancer Recurrence and Death [Read Article][Watch Video]
- First Phase III Study of Bevacizumab + Chemotherapy Shows Improved Survival in Women with Advanced Cervical Cancer [Read Article]
Monday, June 3, 2013
- Coping with Cancer Drug Shortages - Two Surveys Show how Doctors Adapt [Read Article]
- Ganetespib (STA-9090) in Combination with Docetaxel is Effective as Second-Line Therapy for Patients with Advanced Lung Cancer [Read Article]
- Weekly, Low-dose, Paclitaxel Shows Similar Efficacy with Fewer Side Effects than Standard Biweekly Paclitaxel for Early-Stage Breast Cancer [Read Article][Watch Video]
- Axillary Radiotherapy (ART) After Positive SNB Offers Comparable Disease Control as Lymph Node Surgery but With Lower Risk of Lymphedema for Women With Early-Stage Breast Cancer. [Read Article][Watch Video]
- Study Shows Many African American Women have a Higher Risk for Breast Cancer - Suggests Importance of Screening Women and Relatives for Broader Range of Mutations. [Read Article][Watch Video]
- Congress Called Upon to Protect Medical Research Funding From Sequestration Cuts [Read Article]
The coverage of the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO 2013) is not sanctioned or comissioned by, nor a part of an official program developed by, or in behalf of, the the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
This page was last updated on June 24, 2013.
Copyright © 2013 InPress Media Group/Sunvalley Communication. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of InPress Media Group/Sunvalley Communication content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of InPress Media Group/Sunvalley Communication. InPress Media Group/Sunvalley Communication shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Onco'Zine and Oncozine are registered trademarks and trademarks of Sunvalley Communication around the world.